BGA PRIMARY GEARS WORKSHOP
Developed for the BGA by STEM education and outreach specialists at Northumbria University, this workshop supports the Primary National Curriculum for science.
It offers an opportunity for engineers and technicians to build links with their local communities, develop their communication skills and make a positive contribution to children’s engineering knowledge.
A bespoke training session is available to assist BGA members in acquiring and honing the skills necessary to deliver the workshop successfully. The training includes:
- Introduction and discussion of where gears are in the national curriculum.
- Detailed practice of the session delivery.
- Classroom management techniques to ensure the session runs smoothly.
- The practicalities of getting into schools.
- Unconscious bias and strategies for improving gender diversity in engineering.
- Advice and coaching on performance and delivery style.
- All the printed, construction and presentation materials needed to deliver the workshop to a class of 30.
DATES & COSTS
Exclusively for BGA members – our first workshop is being held free of charge at Dontyne Gears, Washington on the 11th September 2018. All members attending will receive a full classroom set of gears to take away compliments of BGA.
Contact the BGA to reserve your place – subject to availability: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further workshops and associated costs to be confirmed
A full workshop leader’s pack will be handed over as part of the training. You can also download key resources here:
- BGA Primary Workshop flyer
- BGA Primary Workshop Outline (PDF)
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop Worksheets (3Mb zip file)
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop – Powerpoint presentation (230Mb) Note that this file includes .mp4 video, which should play in Windows 7 or above.
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop – Powerpoint presentation (WMV video).This alternate version embeds old-style Windows video, which should play in old versions of Powerpoint. Try this if you have problems with the version above.
- BGA Workshop Presentation – notes (8Mb PDF – the Powerpoint slides with accompanying presenter notes)